Thursday, March 4, 2021

One Hour of Flying On A Nice Warm March Afternoon

 Yesterday afternoon we had a gentile warm (61 degrees) breeze from the southwest, straight down the runway.  Who could ask for more in early March.  

The CHT problem isn't solved.  It was running about 405 degrees F.  During climb out it reached 455 degrees F at 1,000 feet.  After about 45 minutes the oil temp had stabilized at 190 degrees F, OK, but corresponds to the CHT.

I had planned to leave the pattern and climb to about 3,000 feet.  It was beautifully clear but fairly bumpy.  Roger reported it was worse at 3,000 feet so I just stayed in the pattern.  I got to fly for an hour.

I think I need a lighter wire for the fuel gauge.  The float just barely holds it up.  It doesn't take much of a bump to sink it.  I replaced the old wire years ago so I don't know how thick the old wire was.  This wire is 0.092" diameter.  I think a piece of 0.063" piano wire should work fine and make a significant reduction in weight.  My math says I'll lighten it by .29 ounces or about 8 grams.  The float and wires weigh about 31 grams so it should help.  I have a coil of 0.063" piano wire but I'd rather work with a straight piece of wire.

Spring and warm air are on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment