Sunday, March 21, 2021

Very Bumpy Afternoon - No CHT Improvement

 

It was a warm sunny afternoon.  See those fluffy little clouds in front of the flying wire.  They are a good indication of turbulence, if you pay attention to them while you're on the ground.  It was rougher than a cob.  I gave up after about 1/2 hour.  

Just after take off, at maybe 20 feet, I got slammed from the left so hard I moved above the right edge of the runway and the gasoline sloshed so hard it was forced out of the cap on the tank.  I've never had that happen before.  The wind was only about 5 knots, all day, and from a little to the left of the runway.  Who knows.

The arrow points at our house near Lake Louisa.  At least I did get to fly.  At 2,000 feet the hawks were hanging out in the thermals.

The cylinder head temperature was not improved at all.  I could not establish steady flight but there was no obvious change.  After I landed I installed a temporary seal for the leaks by the carb heat box.  We'll see if it helps next flight, and I'll keep looking for air leaks to plug up.

Putting the elevator trim tab back on worked perfect.  It just gets rid of a slightly annoying back pressure required on the stick.  Now there is just the slightest touch of back pressure required.  I'll fly with it as is for a while before I consider any adjustment to it.  I'll also think about a longer term solution to trim adjustment.





No comments:

Post a Comment