Saturday, June 11, 2016

Engine's On The Fuselage


 The tent is 10' x 30' but working space in the tent is crowded.  By putting the Fly Baby in nose first and the Cessna 140 tail first both will fit.  To get any work done the Cessna has to move out.  At least I have room in the attic to start assembling the wings for the WACO NINE.

To make it easier to safety wire the turnbuckles, on the landing gear brace wires, I ran it up on the car ramps.  It let me sit and work so I could see what I was doing.  I think we're ready for the engine.

 Dan came back and helped move the engine from the attic.  The 2x4s I attached to the engine mount allowed us to use the stair rails to bear the weight carrying the engine down.

The first few feet were awkward because the 2x4s should have been a couple inches shorter at the bottom.  When we had the engine far enough to the right to clear the deck railing it wanted to tip over the rail.

 Once we got it on the rails where both ends of the 2x4s were supported it was just a matter of keeping it from sliding too fast, one person on top holding back and one on the bottom pushing up.

At the bottom we just lifted it by the boards and carried it to  the tent.  There we just dragged it on the bottom board to get it into position to hoist it.

 We used the come-along to hoist it from a joint in the tent frame.  I secured a heavy ratchet strap tight across the frame of the tent to keep the poles from spreading with the weight of the engine.  Dan thought I was crazy until I did pull ups on  the come-along to show him the tent could take it.

We lifted the tail on a saw horse to get the firewall aligned with the engine mount.

Then we just hoisted the engine high enough to slide it on the bolts.  It went very well.  Much better than doing it by myself in the attic.


 Before removing the hoist the nuts were tightened on the bolts.

Hey we're outside and it's looking like an airplane again.

Lots of little things to hook up.

No comments:

Post a Comment