Thursday, February 16, 2017

Aileron Spar Tapes

While I've been waiting for another warm day I've been ironing the pinked edges of all the tapes smooth.  The Poly-Brush is a vinyl so it smooths down nicely at 225 degrees.

I also cut out some patches.  You need a 2" tape over the corners of the aileron spar and a 2" tape over the sewn seam in the n middle of the spar.  Since the spar is only a little over 4" wide it seemed better to just cut out a big patch to cover it all in one piece.

 To make the patches for the aileron spars, and the aileron cutouts in the lower wings. I cut strips of scrap fabric a little longer than each spar and ironed it smooth at 225 degrees.

While holding the fabric over the spar I used the side of a sharp No. 2 pencil to mark the corners of the spar on the fabric.
  I trimmed the fabric 1 1/4" beyond the lines so it will nicely replace the corner tapes.

I then folded the fabric along the pencil line to help it form a corner when it is stuck down with Poly-Brush.  All 4 are made and now I'm waiting for another warm, dry day.


No comments:

Post a Comment