Thursday, November 25, 2021

Happy Thanksgiving Flying - Another Cylinder Head Temperature Improvement

 I found another small problem area in the cooling baffles

There was about a 1/4" gap between the rear, vertical, baffle and the fins on the barrel of the cylinders.  The head fins are touching the fins like they should.  I adjusted the baffle to get a tight fit.  I keep saying I must have changed something that I just haven't realized.  It didn't fix the problem but the pressure drop across the cylinders increased from about 70 to 75 MPH.  The temperature didn't get to 425°F until 2,000 feet Altitude where it had been getting there at 1,500 feet.  At cruise the CHT dropped to 355°F, a new low.


Thanksgiving day was warm with a nice breeze straight don runway 23.  A good day for flying.  The radio was dead silent for the 35 minutes I was flying, no one out there.  The lake is Lake Louisa in our subdivision.

The arrows highlight rows of trees not cut by loggers.  They can't cut the trees in the bottom of swales.

The arrow shows the top of the Blue Ridge Mtns.  The visibility was very good, as usual in the fall.

The only leaves left on the trees are on the Oaks.  The last of our fall colors.

I landed about 15 minutes before sunset.  The sun was really annoying landing but pretty once I was parked.

Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment