Saturday, June 11, 2022

Removed The Oil Sump Baffle


 When I repaired all the old engine baffles I added one in front of the oil sump to help direct cool air around it and to deflect hot air from the cylinders.  The idea came from this baffle one on my Cessna 140.  It also has a Continental C-85.  I assumed they knew what they were doing when they went to all the trouble to make this baffle for the Cessna.



The baffle has a hole in it for the throttle cable but covers the sump.
The big difference in mine and theirs is the nice curved shape of their baffle.  Mine is much flatter and as a result a little wider because I quit working the metal once I had this shape.

My concern was that this flatter baffle was blocking airflow so I removed it and went flying.


A nice evening in the upper 70s, with high clouds, meant a smooth fun flight.  Unfortunately no change in cylinder head temps.  The oil temperature seamed to come up a little quicker so I think I'll finish shaping this baffle to fit the buck I made from the C-140 baffle and reinstall it.

Now that the winds have died down I have some more things to try.


No comments:

Post a Comment