Wednesday, January 13, 2016

1990 - At Waynesboro Airport

I found one problem when I got ready to fly.  We had trouble getting leaks fixed when we welded the new tank, back when we did the stringers.  We eventually used sloshing compound to solve the problem.  That apparently only works with Av Gas.  Auto gas causes it to turn to goo.  I took the tank out and cleaned it and the gascolator.  I replaced the hoses and pressure tested the tank at 2 psi.
In April the plane was reassembled at Waynesboro airport and tied down on the flight line.

I normally fly in the early morning or evening.  To be able to hand prop the plane we have a tow hitch on the tail wheel spring.  The tail is tied to it.  With the plane chocked and tied down the engine is started.  While it warms up the wing tie downs and chocks are removed.  Once buckled in the cockpit the tail is released and you're ready to go.

 I spent about an hour taxiing the plane and making sure everything was working before flying it on April 26th.  I only flew 20 minutes because the rigging was off a little.  I had to hold about 1" of up aileron on the right to keep it level.  It took a few more flights to get the rigging set.  I also adjusted the ailerons to droop about 3/4" on the ground so they would be faired in flight.

Auto gas seems like a good way to save money and if you can get alcohol free gas it can be.  It's also a lot of work to carry gas in the car to the plane and then pour it in without making a mess.  I found an offset funnel which works great and made up a grounding strap so the cans, funnel and plane are all grounded to prevent a spark causing a fire.  A small stand would have helped also, even at 6'- 5". I thought two 5 gallon cans would be plenty of gas to carry but that limits you to about 2 hours of flying.  I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.  It does make sense if you're at a strip with no gas sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment