Wednesday, February 3, 2016

1993 - A Year of Flying and A new home


Only a month after finishing the engine overhaul I had to move from my happy home in the hangar at Waynesboro airport.  The state aviation guys in their infinite wisdom decided that our old hangar was suddenly too close to the runway.  It had been there longer than anyone remembered but it was now unsafe and must go, and go it did.

Waynesboro airport was 35 miles west of our house but only a few miles from work.  Gordonsville airport was only 25 miles northeast of our house but over 60 miles from work.  They had built new hangars at Gordonsville that summer and a new hangar had some charm over going back to an outdoor tie down.  Waynesboro airport had also been sold and was being turned into Eagles Nest, an airport community.  It was time to move.

On November 28th I flew to my new hangar at Gordonsville, it even has a door you can lock.  I couldn't fly before work nor at lunch but in the summer I could easily fly in the evenings.  By July of 1994 I had put 126 hours on the new engine, flying every month and almost every week.  This is what having a plane is all about, good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment