Saturday, January 7, 2017

First Cable End With 22 Gauge Wire

I found some 22 gauge galvanized wire at the last real hardware store in Charlottesville.  They had packs of 100 feet so I bought all three they had.  I found why I had bought 20 gauge wire.  The WACO Drawing Room Manual (D.R.M) page II-4 Shows 0.035" (20 gauge) wire for 1/8" cable as does WACO drawing 3800 this is the Army-Navy Standard.  The D.R.M references WACO Spec. No. 25513 which I do not have.  I'll need to find a copy of it.  The cables on my WACO clearly use 0.025" (22 gauge) wire as shown in CAM 18.
 I used the same process to wind the wire which is much easier to wind.
 I went back and looked at my work to make the first batch of solder flux.  I'm convinced I overheated it some time after making it.  In the future the only way I will heat it is with a double boiler below a boil so it just melts but doesn't burn.

I did the soldering with just my big iron and it came out great.  I was able to use the soldering iron to get right up to the Nicopress sleeve.  I'll post some more explanation as I practice more.  I really like the look of this wire and soldering much better.


I also did my first cable end using the full wire wrap method.  Because I didn't have anything on the end I dipped it in the solder pot.  It looks just like the cables on the WACO minus the rusty cable.  This is so cool!


No comments:

Post a Comment