Sunday, July 15, 2018

Baffles and Hot Air Ducting Installed


 The forward baffles are reinstalled.  One change I am going to make is to replace to elastic stop nuts I used with heat resistant lock nuts.  I don't know what I was thinking when I used them.

 There is a small baffle between the lower fins of the 2 cylinders on each side.  The lower ends of these baffles are held snug to the cylinders by a spring, long ago lost.  I found some springs at the hardware store made from .022" wire which should work fine.  A very slightly stiffer spring would be nice but these do hold the baffles.
 The 4 springs are a bit of work to install.  It's easy to hook one end to a baffle, but fishing it past the cylinder and hooking the other end to the baffle on the other side of the cylinder took many tries.

If I were doing it again I'd make a long skinny loop with safety wire to fish through, hook the loose end and pull it past the cylinder.

 A new air filter and CAT tubing gets this looking like a finished engine installation.  The carb. heat tubes on the right were the easiest to install.
 I never checked to make sure the inlet tube on my cabin heat muff actually fit into the CAT tubing.  I had to use my fluting pliers, like on the edge of the firewall to shrink it slightly.  If the muff works I plan to weld up a more permanent one so I'll be sure to make the inlet the correct diameter.

I still have to finish the primer lines.


No comments:

Post a Comment