Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Engine Controls Hooked Up


 Some great weather for Independence Day has allowed me to get some more work done on the plane.  The Carb. Heat cable is finally hooked up.  The gable is clamped to the diagonal tube on the engine mount with 2 cable clamps at a right angle to each other.

 The throttle cable is hooked up with the cable clamped to the tube in the same way, but I had several issues.  I forgot to put a hole in the new baffle I made, so that had to come back off.  I knew it was needed, just forgot to make the hole.

 The next thing I discovered was that the cable didn't actually reach the lever on the carburetor.   All my neatening up of the holes in the firewall was done with the engine removed. First I moved it down where the carb. heat cable came through and made a new hole next to it for the carb. heat cable.  That was a good plan, but while the cable reached the lever, there was no way to clamp it to the engine mount so it would work properly.
 The final solution was to move the hole closer to the center of the firewall, more of a straight line from the throttle quadrant to the carburetor.  That worked, so I move the carb. heat cable back where it was and covered the 2 wrong holes.  So much for my fresh new firewall.

I moved the clamp in the cockpit from under the fuel shut off valve to the inboard mounting bolt of the valve.  I also tied the cable lightly to the fuel line to keep it clear of my foot when entering the cockpit.  It all works in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment