Monday, August 27, 2018

Engine Cowling


 The lower fuselage cowl is fitted so engine oil and rain do not go inside the fuselage.  It is removable to get at the brake cylinders, even with the engine cowl installed.
 Our grandson Duncan visited for 2 weeks to help work on the plane and hang out with old people.
 The engine cowl is on.  It's finally looking like an airplane again.


 We found the belts were not holding the front of the cowl tight enough.  We moved the crew hole about 1/2" at one end and now it's tight.


 In the long run I would like to make some springs like the Ford Model T springs, as on this Pietenpol cowl.  The belts will stretch over time.  We made some but need slightly thicker wire to get the 15 pound load needed to hold the cowl tight, with the spring stretched about 1/2".  The ones we made with .080" piano wire only pull 5 pounds.  I have some 0.125" wire but I think it is too thick.  I may try it any way.
We started fitting the wings but Duncan had to go back home early.  The Cross Country team wanted some pre-season practice.  I'll finish fitting the wings when I get back from the Antique and Stearman fly-ins.

No comments:

Post a Comment