Thursday, November 22, 2018

Cowl Latch Straps Done

I tried making the Ford springs with the 0.125" piano wire but it was too stiff.  I needed some wire about 0.100" diameter so we gave up on that for now and went looking for other springs.  Duncan and I found some that would work at the hardware store but they didn't have enough to do all 4 straps.
 After he went home I found enough springs at Lowes.
I had to make new straps for the lower, buckle, end.  I tapered the inside end on the belt sander and left it long enough to protect the cowl from the screws.  I countersunk the screw holes in the leather and used some Tinnerman Countersunk Washers, to keep the screws from pulling through the leather.

 There are a lot more parts than using the Ford springs.

There is a nylon bushing in the ends of each spring with a screw through it to hold the spring to the belt or cowl.

The flat plate and the joggled plate at the left end are designed to hold the bushing, for the spring end, perpendicular to the cowl skin.  It also spreads the loads so hopefully the cowl won't crack.
 I like the finished result.  I needed a second loop around the belt end to keep it secure in the slipstream.  I've used double sided Velcro for now.
 You can see here how the reinforcing plate is riveted to the cowl.

The nuts have to be high temp nuts because of the heat in the cowl.


 I think it's a great look.  With the springs they're easy to use and hold the cowl shut tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment