Monday, December 10, 2018

New 2" Hitch Coupler Installed


 The boat trailer hitch was set up for a 1 7/8" ball for a trailer under 2,000 pounds.  I registered the trailer for 2,500 pounds so I needed a 2" ball (3,500 pounds).  This meant I needed a new Trailer Hitch Coupler.

I cut the old coupler off and drilled holes to bolt on the new one.
 The square tube is made of 2 pieces of channel.  The old coupler was welded on and in doing so welded the channels together.  I didn't want to weld the coupler on so I welded the channels together along the seam.

I primed it all but it was only 27 degrees out so it was never going to dry even though the steel was still quite warm from welding.  I put a bucket over the end with a trouble light in it and wrapped it all up with some waterproof tire covers to help keep it warm, just as the snow started.


 By this morning we had 8" of snow.  The paint did dry.

I've bolted on the new coupler and the wheeled jack stand from the old plane trailer.  It's designed to fold out of the way but the straight part of the tongue is to short so it hits the frame.  At least it swivels to make moving the trailer easier.

I still have to add the safety chains.

No comments:

Post a Comment