Wednesday, December 5, 2018

One Fender Welded On The Trailer


 I've started priming the trailer.  Tractor Supply has some Rust-Oleum for outdoor farm equipment.  I figure the trailer will spend it's life out of doors so this seems the paint for it.  It's a real oil based enamel.  I'll use Caterpillar Yellow with some Ford Red, and then Black for the diamond plate.  It needs 50 degree weather to dry so who knows when it will get done.
 The plan was to use a scrap of the small angle from the boat trailer to support the fender.  The good fun was cutting it to length with a cut-off blade in the circular saw.  The only way to go.

 The fender will get welded to the piece of angle in the front and rear of the tire.

Unfortunately the fender isn't long enough.  Rather than buy new fenders, the old trailer never had them, I'll make an extension for one end of the fender.

I bought a small fender at Tractor Supply to cut out pieces to make the extensions.  The fender is the same thickness as the boat trailer fenders.


 The boat trailer fenders are 9 inches wide, the new one 7 inches.  There is enough metal to cut 4 pieces to make the 2 extensions, one for each fender, with some left over.

I tacked them together, and to the fender, then welded it all up.  I like it.  It was quick, easy and cheap.


 It worked best to put the extension in the front.  I welded the fender to the front support, then wiggled and slightly twisted it to get a good fit to the rear support.

On the front support I welded it to the free edge of the angle support.  It wasn't bad because the thickness of the 2 pieces were fairly close.

On the rear support I welded it to the corner or the angle and into a blind pocket at the trailer frame, much harder to control the heat for the thick corner and the thin edge of the fenderl.


One fender done and I've run out of daylight.

That wheel needs a nice Chrome hub cap and Black paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment