Sunday, October 18, 2020

New Felt Seals for the Motor's Main Air Cooling Baffle

 I think I've improved the seals on the main air baffle.

The center section of the seal seams to fit just fine.  The pressure of the cowl pushing down on it forces the felt to tip forward toward.  This should help the air pressure to hold it tight against the cowl.

Therefore I cut that section out from the long seal and reinstalled it.
There is clearly a leak on both sides along the cowl doors.  I stuck "T" pins in the edge of the felt so I could determine where and how big the gap really is.

The doors were fastened shut to push the pins into the felt.

With the light behind the seal I could see that the pins were not pressed too far down.


This gave me a pretty good idea where and how much the seals needed to be widened to get a good seal like in the center.


I cut new pieces and this time I used some spray adhesive to bond the felt to the aluminum, in addition to the staples.  I masked everything to keep the spray only on the baffle.

The new sections are quite  bit taller than the old ones so I trimmed them with the scissors to make a smooth blend.

I also used the scissors to put about a 30 degree chamfer on the aft edge to make it more flexible.  I left the top edge about 1/8" wide and ran the chamfer down the back about 3/4" - 1".  The idea was that this tapered section would tip forward and seal better against the cowl doors.


I made more new staples from 0.041" stainless safety wire, as before, to secure the felt to the baffle.

When I got it all done I found I had a slight gap at the piano hinge for the doors.  I split some felt to about 3/16" thick to make patches for each side.  I glued these to the main pieces and redid the staples, again.


These patches fold over nicely under the hinges and should seal very well.
I also widened the pieces under the rocker covers, on each side.  I had previously moved them outboard, but I don't think they were sealing good enough.  Now they really press against the cowl.


I like how these came out, but I need to fly the plane to see if the cooling problem is solved.  

We have a week of warm sunny weather coming so hopefully that will happen soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment