Sunday, April 4, 2021

Fuel Gauge Float Leak Not As Solved As I Thought

 Gusty winds have kept me from flying, but I was at the airport earlier in the week to get something.  While I was there I tapped the top of the float wire to see how well it floated and it sunk to the bottom of the tank, bummer.  A couple hours later when I got home I weighed it and found it had taken on 10 grams of fuel, half it's normal weight.  Avgas has a density of about 0.72 grams/ml so 10 grams of gas is about 14ml.  Submerging the float on water I find the volume is about 50 ml.  So, 14 ml is well over 1/3 full of gas just from temperature cycles sucking it in while floating, barely under the surface, at the top of the tank.

A little dangerous experimenting with a cigarette lighter found the leak, in the side seam.  I drained the gas, fixed the hole, and left it submerged in gasoline for 5 days.  Two nights it went down to 25 Degrees F, so good cooling/warming cycles to draw in gasoline.  I weighed it this morning and it hadn't gained any weight.  Hopefully it's really fixed this time.  I'll put it back on the plane and keep checking how it floats.


No comments:

Post a Comment