Saturday, July 30, 2022

July 11 - More Baffle Changes and A Nice Evening Flight

 I keep looking for some reason that I'm getting high Cylinder Head and Oil Temperatures. My belief is that there are 3 most likely causes.  The first is that I have a leak somewhere from the high pressure above the cylinders to the lower pressure below.  The second is a poorly designed outlet. The last is that somehow changing to the Taylorcraft nose bowl is causing low inlet pressure.  The last doesn't seem very likely since there were a lot of Taylorcrafts made using this nose bowl.  I decided to remove the nose bowl and reinstall a baffle I had made to force more flow below the crank case for better oil cooling.

When I removed the nose bowl it looked like my front seals weren't rubbing as tightly against the nose bowl as well as I would like, especially on the left cylinders, there was a gap between the 2 pieces of felt.

I remade these to cover the gap and to allow more felt to lay against the nose bowl for a better seal.


On the right side I moved the felt away from the baffle a little so there would be more of it lying against the nose bowl on this side as well.
The main plan was to reinstall the baffle below the crank shaft so more air would flow under the crank case to cool the oil better.
I had originally made this baffle so the felt sealed against the case, forcing all the air down. I decided to remove some of the felt to allow a little air to go over the nose of the crankcase.


The baffle is back under the crankshaft.

There is now a small gap to allow some air to move by it on the right (arrow) and left sides of the case.


Another beautiful warm evening for flying.


An algae clogged lake south of the airport.

Looking north the airport is to the right of the water tower and left of the left brace wire.

Looking south the airport is in front of the wing strut.


It was a nice flight but my efforts had no affect on the temperatures.  I haven't given up but I'm running out of time before they tear up the runway to rebuild it.


No comments:

Post a Comment