Monday, November 9, 2015

1969 - Restriction Removed & Back to Rockford

1969 was a very good year.  In the fall of 1968 Dennis enlisted in the Air Force and then in February came home to marry Patricia (still married).  On July 24th Robert Bush of the FAA signed off the Fly Baby for Unrestricted Operation.  Ernie flew to several fly-in events around Michigan, Gladwin, Lapeer, Lippert, Caro, Chesaning, and Newton.
 Before Rockford Francis Londo flew his Fly Baby N2288C from Bothell, Washington and stopped at Dalton Airport to visit Ernie and fly our Fly Baby.

A beautiful summer day over Flint.


 With the restrictions removed Ernie was able to fly to Rockford in the AC Spark Plug Flight Rally.  I believe this picture was taken at the Morris, Illinois fuel stop.
 Tied down back at Rockford for the afternoon airshow.  Patricia and I joined Dad to camp at Rockford.  I was reassigned after teaching one class as an instructor at Chanute.  We were on leave before heading to Japan for 2 years.  We joined Chapter 361 at Tachikawa Air Base where I was able get my A and P license.  I rebuilt a Stinson L-5A for my practical exam.  Good Fun.  John Condon and Al Pitts, 2 perfectionists, taught me about matched hole aluminum construction as they built their Thorp T-18s.  Al was my examiner for my A and P, Thanks Al.
Ernie heading out for some Fly-Bys at Rockford.  Ah the good old days when you could fly at the Fly-In.


 We managed to again park next to Pete who brought his Fly baby back as a Bi Baby.

After flying it Ernie couldn't wait until he could retire and build the Biplane wings.


Back to the farm for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment