Thursday, November 23, 2017

Post Painting - Wing Assembly

I've been up to my ears with work for the past few months.  I have gotten a few little things done and Thanksgiving Weekend seems a good time to get caught up and back to work on the Fly Baby.

 I decided to use wing walk tape rather than the gritty paint.  I wasn't sure how the paint would work with Poly-Tone.  I cut pieces 24" long and a little narrower than the wing walk.  I also rounded the corners so they wouldn't tend to come loose.  I heated the tape to about 150 degrees so it would stick well and conform to any bumps.  To help stick it down I made a roller from a piece of foam noodle the grandkids had in the summer.  I used a piece of tubing in the center, which was setting on my work bench, but a piece of dowel would work well to give it some stiffness while pressing the tape down.

 I've bolted all the strut and brace wire fittings back on the wing panels.  I have a plan to paint all the inspection covers with Poly-Tone to match the wings better but it's a fussy process of priming with epoxy primer than spraying the first coat of Poly-Tone while the last coat of primer is tacky.  I'll work on them when warm weather returns.  For now I've found some spray cans with colors close enough.  I only have a few covers needed until the first annual inspection.

As I put the fittings back on I mounted the wing strut to each wing to make sure all the fittings were on correctly and the bolts would fit.  Much easier to resolve any problems in the attic then while assembling the whole plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment