Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Engine Cylinders Removed For Inspection

Because the engine has been setting for 23 years I have been concerned the cylinders might have some rust.  Until we moved the plane to the tent, the engine has always been in a dry indoors space.  I decide the only rational thing was to remove the cylinders to have a look.  It would also be a good chance to replace the rubber seals on the induction system.
 Today was a beautiful sunny 66 degrees so I quit working and spent the afternoon removing the cylinders.  The cylinder baffles were removed, then the intake tubes.

It really didn't take long.

 The first cylinder is off.

The good news is, there is only a little rust at the upper end of the cylinder barrel in the combustion chamber, not where the rings ride.  I'll clean up the rust so it can't come loose and get into the oil.

With all the cylinders off the inside of the engine looks really good.  It should since I only have about 125 hours since I overhauled it.  The connecting rods are protected with chunks the foam noodles the grand kids pay with in the lake.  I'm eager to get the cylinders cleaned up, everything well oiled and back together.

A very worthwhile project.

No comments:

Post a Comment