Sunday, May 19, 2019

Loose Headrest Screws

While installing the wing bolts and hooking up/adjusting the controls I found it easier to reach inside if I removed the baggage compartment.  As a result I've taken it off several times.  Each time it seemed to be missing more of the screws holding the headrest on.  I decided to remove the headrest and see if I could do a better job of fixing the old screw holes.   Most of them were staying in by wishful thinking.

 With the headrest off I could see that moisture, over the years, had ruined most of the holes.  On top of that this was the second aluminum skin on the baggage compartment so there were 2 sets of holes.

I decided to plug all the holes with T-88 epoxy and toothpicks or matchsticks, whichever filled the hole best.  I worked the glue into each hole to assure a good bond.

To keep the glue from running out of the holes I put blue painter's tape on the back side of the wood frames.

 I used an X-Acto saw to cut off the sticks, then a coarse file to remove excess glue.

A coat of varnish finished it so the holes are ready to re-drill and re-install the screws.

It worked the screws are all tight and I won't have to worry about the headrest coming loose in flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment