Thursday, August 6, 2020

Magnetos Reinstalled

The Eisemann magnetos have a timing indicator window in the distributor cap.  It works fine if the engine is off the plane but its hard to see in the tight space between the motor and firewall.  I prefer to hook up the timing light and use it to make sure I get the magneto gear positioned correctly as the magneto slides onto the mounting stud.

I've taken to making notes on the firewall to help with things like timing angles, spark plug gap and torque.  It's easier than looking them up each time.  In the engine compartment of my car I write the oil filter number and how many quarts to change the oil.  It's very easy to just pop the hood when I get to the car parts store.
The timing marks are on the propeller hub, but they're at the bottom where it's hard to see them.  I use painters tape to give me a nice line to sight with the split in the crankcase. It makes it so much easier.

The mags are back on and timed.  I've checked to see that they are producing a spark and I can see it's happening around the top of compression on each cylinder, which reinforces that all the wires are all hooked back up correctly.

I still want to verify the fuel flow before running the motor.

No comments:

Post a Comment