Sunday, March 26, 2023

Airplane Ready To Fly

 On March 16th I finally had everything back together and taxied the plane for about 10 minutes.  Everything was fine, except for a slight miss on the left magneto.  Back in the hangar.

On March 18th we had a fly-in to celebrate the reopening of the runway.  The winds at 3000 feet were 26 knots but we had a good turnout anyway

Today I had time and 72 degree weather to work on the small misfire.  I stared by pulling the lower plugs and cleaning them to assure there was not any oil fouling one of them.  I also rechecked the gaps, all good.

When I removed the lead to the lower plug on cylinder 4 the insulator fell off the wire, problem found.  I had cable tied the wire to keep it clear of the exhaust pipe and accidentally pulled it so tight I pulled the lead almost out of the insulator.  I reinstalled the insulator and was more careful how I tied it up.  It's running here before taxiing it for about 10 minutes.  I did 2 mag checks with no misfire.

With it nice and warm I did the compression check.  All cylinders were 75/80psi - 76/80psi., very good.

The annual Condition Inspection is now signed off.  We're ready to go flying to see if I've improved the motor cooling with the grills removed.  Yea!


No comments:

Post a Comment