Sunday, May 15, 2016

Upper Left Wing - Prep for Recovering


 All the postings until now were telling the story of things already done.  I'm finally up to date with what I did today.

I'm working on the last wing panel, Upper Left.  The old fabric was removed and the wing is in very good condition.

 I found a small dent in the leading edge which seamed deep enough to repair.  I could putty it, but I think it's easier to pound out the dent.

To do that I need to get into the bottom of the leading edge.  Fortunately the dent is near the outboard end of the inboard section of the leading edge aluminum.  This section was applied overlapping the outboard section so I only need to remove the nails for about 1 foot to open it enough to get at the dent.
 The nails were actually still tight so I slipped a small knife blade under the aluminum up to the nail and gently wiggled the nail loose.

I have a pair of diagonal cutters which I use for removing rivets after I drill off the heads.  I've ground the back side smooth so I can get tight to the aluminum to grip a rivet, or in this case a nail,to remove it.

Then just gently pry it out.


 With the bottom of the leading edge open I'm ready to pound out the dent.
 I made a tool from a piece of oak about 3/8" thick and 1 1/2" wide.  The dent is right at the leading edge wood strip, which was not damaged.  The stick will be at an angle to the leading edge stick so I cut a relief in it to get a better hit on the aluminum.

I rounded all the edges so I don't add sharp little dents from the corners, etc.

The stick slips nicely under the aluminum and you just gently tap it and move it around to work out the dent.


Much better.

I replaced the nails on the leading edge and any other which were loose.  A little epoxy varnish and some aluminum tape and this wing will be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment