Monday, May 30, 2016

Upper Left Wing Rib Repair


 One thing I've done on all the wing panels is to re-tighten all the drag and anti-drag wires.  When the wings were built we adjusted the tightness by feel and sound.  I have a gauge now so I've been adjusting them all the same.  I found it a lot easier safety wiring the turnbuckles with the wing setting on tables and tied up so it's tipped back.  I was able to sit in a chair and work without bending over to see what I was doing, much easier.
I was doing some work in the shop, slipped and fell against the wing cracking a rib cap strip.  I repaired it by the same method as the broken rib on the lower left wing.  In this case the cap strip was on the curved top of the rib.  I attached it at the aft end. After that was set I filled the rest of the grove in the cap strip with glue and attached it with the gussets at he forward end.  I let the glue set with the wing upside down so the groove would stay filled with glue.  Because of the slight gaps I used T-88 glue for the repair.

I think I'm ready to start sewing the fabric envelopes for all the panels.  The fuselage is off the gear and waiting for the weather to cooperate to move it out of the attic.

No comments:

Post a Comment