Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Cowl Panels and Nose Bowl Finished


 Measurements were taken from some of the screw holes on the firewall to the filler neck on the tank.  Those measurements were used to locate the hole for the filler neck in the cowling.  That was the last hole needed before painting all the metal.
 All the metal parts were Alodined to reduce corrosion and the side of each piece getting paint was primed.
 The nose bowl was primed then small dents and scratches were cleaned up with a light body putty.  It took a few times of sanding, priming, puttying, and repeat before it was ready for color.

I painted it red as used by "A" Flight in the 103 rd AS.  It's the largest part I've been able to bake in the oven.  All the small cowl panels and parts were baked.
,


 The finished windshield was riveted to the cockpit cowl panel.  All the riveting was done after painting because I like the more industrial look.  Maybe that's why I like Doc Martens.

The cowl bumps and hinges were riveted on the same way.  I like the look.

 To make all the rivet hole stay aligned I had to hold the curve in the lower panel while I riveted the outlet scoop.  A couple Clecos and a bungee cord worked perfect to hold the shape.

 Around the carburetor I used some pieces of 3" wide cowl seal.  I'll trim it and add some slits so it floats well around the carb.

I Pop-riveted the seals in place with a doubler on the inside of the seals.  I used Pop-rivets so they are easy to remove when the seals need replacing.  I didn't use screws because I don't have to worry about them coming loose in this hot environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment