Sunday, December 4, 2016

Fabric On Lower Right Aileron - Everything Now Has Fabric


 Before covering the aileron I finished shrinking the fabric on the lower right wing panel.  When the weather cooperates I'll get a coat of Poly-Brush on it.  I've still got 2 other panels and the other aileron to rib stitch.

 As with the other aileron I stitched 2 scraps from the lower wings together to make the blanket.  I'd sew an envelope but the control horn in the middle prevents slipping an envelope on past it.

I marked the width of the spar centered on the seam.  With the spar on the marks I drew a line along the trailing edge to make it easy gluing the fabric to the trailing edge and still having the seam centered on the spar.


 I glued the fabric to the top of the trailing edge then did the Poly Fiber trick of ironing it around the trailing edge to get a smooth fit.

The fabric was trimmed to the width of the trailing edge then glued to the bottom side.

 I clamped the fabric to the spar so I could pull it while heat forming it around the tip tube.  It's not perfect but I think I'm getting there.  I need another set of wings to cover.  I guess I need to put the wings together for the WACO NINE.  Oh yeah, that's why I needed the Fly Baby out of the attic.  How may planes can you build in one attic.

I glued the root end like the other aileron so there is only one layer of fabric in the gap.  When I tape that end I'll make a custom patch to again have only one layer.

Once everything was dry I stretched the upper tip fabric.

I'll let the glue dry overnight before shrinking the fabric.

I now have fabric on everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment