Saturday, December 24, 2016

Lower Wing Inspection Rings and First Bracing Cable End Wire Wrapped


 I glued all the inspection rings on the lower wings.  I find it helpful to draw pencil lines around the ring and for the doily.  It makes it easier to apply the glue for the ring without making a mess.  Just lightly brush out the excess which squeezes out for a smooth look.  The same with the Poly-Brush for the doily.
I've soldered up my first cable end for the new rigging cables.  My WACO NINE uses wire wrapped and soldered ends for all the 1x19 bracing cables.  The Fly Baby was designed for Nicopress sleeves instead of the wire wrapped end.  The wire wrap only achieves 90% of the rated strength of the cable.  The Nicopress sleeve achieves 100% of the rated strength.  The only problem with the sleeve is you have the end of the cable sticking out to snag things like me, and I already get too many cuts.  I like the look of the wire wrap but don't want to risk having weak joints.  My solution is to use a zinc plated sleeve and wire wrap and solder the free end.  I like the look.  I'll explain the process in later posts when I have a little more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment